In preparation for surgery or a special procedure, patients will be asked questions to help us plan their care. Depending upon factors such as age and/or previous medical history, a routine preadmission evaluation with a registered nurse may be done either in person or by telephone.
How to Prepare for Preadmission Testing
Patients with scheduled admissions must complete a personal health assessment. You may choose to do this prior to your preadmission appointment to save time.
Please have the following information available:
- A list of all medications that you are taking and the containers in which the pharmacy gave them to you
- A list of all allergies (medications, food, soaps, dyes, tape, latex, etc.)
- Any recent health problems (cold, flu, etc.)
- Any chronic medical conditions (heart disease, diabetes, emphysema, etc.)
- You use of alcohol, tobacco or drugs
- Prior surgical procedures and anesthesia experiences
- All letters, test results, consent forms, physical examination report or any other information from your surgeon, family doctor or medical consultant(s)
- Any special religious, cultural, or personal needs or any vision, hearing or reading problems.
- Your need for a translator, if you do not speak English
- Your plan of how you will manage your care upon discharge from the hospital.
Please ask your surgeon or physician if you are required to fast for this appointment and if you should take any medication.
If you are having surgery at Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health, you may start this process by downloading and printing the Personal Patient Health Assessment form (pdf), filling it out and faxing it to us, or bring the completed form with to your appointment.
History & Physical Examination
All scheduled patients must have a history and physical examination performed by their physician. Please provide the completed form to the preadmission clinical team for review 72 hours prior to your admission.
Where do you report on the day of your visit?
Preadmission Center at Abington Hospital
The Preadmission Center is located on the first floor of the Lenfest Pavilion. Please park in the Zipley Garage. Valet parking is available at the Lenfest Entrance from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Hours: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Preadmission Testing at Abington – Lansdale Hospital
Please park in the lot near our main entrance and proceed to Registration. Both the parking lot and valet parking are free.
Hours: 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.