In-patient Palliative Care Consulting Service
Jefferson Health's in-patient Palliative Care Consulting is provided to patients in Abington Hospital, Abington – Lansdale Hospital, Aria – Bucks County Hospital, Aria – Frankford Hospital, Aria – Torresdale Hospital, or in a local skilled nursing facility when ordered by an attending physician. The Palliative Care Consulting Service team consists of physicians, advanced practice nurses, a social worker, a pharmacist and a chaplain who have extensive experience assisting patients and families who are facing serious illnesses.
This specialized team focuses on meeting a patient’s medical, emotional and spiritual needs. To accomplish this goal, the team:
- Ensures that pain and other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath or anxiety are managed
- Honors patient wishes
- Establishes goals of medical care
- Plans for the future course of illness, including a discussion around the choices patients are likely to face
- Discusses various treatment options and the impact of choices on lifestyle
- Provides emotional and spiritual support to patients and families, including children
- Reviews advance directive/living wills, healthcare proxies and end-of-life care
The Palliative Care team works closely with the patient’s primary medical team as well as all other healthcare providers to develop a plan of care that focuses on each individual patient’s concerns, values and goals.
Consulting Services are only provided while the patient is in the hospital or skilled nursing facility. Upon discharge, in-home Palliative Care may be ordered by the physician if the patient qualifies.
For more information or to make a referral for in-patient Palliative Care Consulting services, call 215-481-6839.