In-patient Palliative Care Consulting Service
Jefferson Health's in-patient Palliative Care Consulting is provided to patients in Abington Hospital, Abington – Lansdale Hospital, Jefferson Northeast – Bucks County Hospital, Jefferson Northeast – Frankford Hospital, or Jefferson Northeast – Torresdale Hospital. The Palliative Care Consulting Service team consists of physicians, advanced practice nurses, a social worker, a pharmacist and a chaplain who have extensive experience assisting patients and families who are facing serious illnesses.
This specialized team focuses on meeting patients living with serious illnesses medical, emotional, social, cultural, and spiritual needs while supporting family and loved ones. To accomplish this goal, the team provides a comprehensive assessment that:
- Ensures pain and other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath or anxiety are managed
- Honors patient wishes in a culturally inclusive way
- Establishes goals of medical care
- Plans for the future course of illness, including a discussion about choices patients are likely to face
- Discusses various treatment options and the impact of choices on lifestyle
- Provides emotional and spiritual support to patients and families, including children
- Facilitates and reviews advance directive/living wills, healthcare proxies and end-of-life care
- Assists with coordination of care and communication with the other medical teams to facilitate a smooth transition from one level of care to another
The Palliative Care team works closely with the patient’s primary medical team as well as all other healthcare providers to develop a plan of care that focuses on each patient and family's concerns, values and goals.
Consulting Services are provided while the patient is in the hospital. Upon discharge, patients may receive ongoing support at the Asplundh Cancer Pavilion or our heart failure clinic. In-home Palliative Care may be ordered by the physician if the patient qualifies.
For more information or to make a referral for in-patient Palliative Care Consulting services, call 215-481-6839.