Maternal/Child Home Health
Maternal/Child Health Home Care services are provided by registered nurses with special skills, knowledge and experience in the care of mothers and their babies. These services are available in Montgomery, Bucks and Philadelphia counties.
Prenatal Visits for High-risk Pregnancies
Services are available to assist pregnant women experiencing complications of pregnancy and to help maintain the pregnancy as long as possible.
- skilled nursing assessment of mother and fetus to detect potential complications of pregnancy;
- evaluation of family strengths to determine the need for additional services;
- homemaker/home health aide services to enable the mother to adhere to activity restrictions and still maintain normal household routines;
- medication administration and instruction;
- diabetic education;
- blood pressure monitoring;
- intravenous therapy administration.
When a new mother's physician orders home care, a registered nurse, who is committed to making her recovery time at home a positive experience, will visit one to two days after discharge to provide:
- a physical exam of mother and infant;
- feeding counseling (breast or bottle);
- instruction in infant care;
- referral to appropriate community resources.
Infants and children with special needs and chronic illness receive scheduled skilled nursing visits. Following consultation with physicians, the nurses may provide a variety of services including:
- counseling and guidance in order to meet the unique needs of both infant and family members;
- promoting independence and confidence in the ability of parents and family members to care for the infant;
- reviewing hospital instructions for the infant's care;
- physical exam and weight assessment;
- adaptation of hospital instructions to home;
- rehabilitative and developmental therapies including speech, occupational and physical therapy;
- medical social services and referral to appropriate community agencies;
- pediatric hospice care when appropriate.
Provided under the direction of your physician, infants with jaundice who meet specific criteria may benefit from the home phototherapy program.
For More Information
Jefferson Health Home Care and Hospice
Abington Health Center – Willow Grove
2510 Maryland Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090-0520
TTY (for the hearing-impaired): 215-481-5755
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.,
Saturday and Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or
215-481-5800 (24-hour answering service)