Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Getting into shape with cardiac rehab and other suggested lifestyle improvements.
Abington Hospital, Abington – Lansdale Hospital, Jefferson Torresdale Hospital and Jefferson Methodist Hospital all offer Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs that will help patients who have suffered from a heart attack, cardiac surgery or other heart condition transition back to a normal, active life.
What Can I Expect from Cardiac Rehabilitation?
The program is comprehensive and is designed to help patients recover promptly- but also at the right pace. There are a number of areas targeted in all the programs
- Exercise – An individualized, low-intensity aerobic exercise plan will be created for you that starts at low levels and gradually increases in intensity.
- Nutrition – You will be educated on the importance of healthy eating habits, weight control and limiting fat and cholesterol intake.
- Education – Information will allow you to take a more active and responsible role in your own recovery. Individual and group cardiac education will cover controllable risk factors for heart disease, smoking cessation, stress management and medication management.
- Support – Our staff is available to provide ongoing encouragement and emotional support, to answer questions and to discuss areas of concern.
Benefits of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
- Reduce your risk of mortality following a heart attack
- Improve the efficiency of your heart
- Diminish cardiac risk factors
- Improve self-confidence
- Lower heart rate at rest and with increased activity
- Decrease blood pressure
- Enhance your sense of well-being
- Maintain proper weight
Admission Criteria and Insurance Accepted
Participants for cardiac rehabilitation should be clinically stable as determined by referring physician, and have physician diagnosis of heart disease and a physician referral.
Cardiac Rehabilitation is covered by most insurance plans. Co-pays may be necessary. Diagnoses usually covered include:
- Stable Angina
- Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack)
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary
- Angioplasty (PTCA) or
- Heart Failure
- Heart Surgery
- Heart Transplant
For information about the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, call at the location nearest to you.
Inpatient Heart Rehabilitation
Patients recovering at Abington Hospital receive inpatient cardiac rehabilitation. Some patients also participate in physical therapy and/or occupational therapy during their stay.
Outpatient Heart Rehabilitation – Abington Fitness Institute
After hospital discharge, outpatient rehabilitation is available with expert cardiac nurses and exercise physiologists at the Abington Fitness Institute at Abington Health Center – Willow Grove. You'll receive an individualized exercise plan developed by the cardiac rehabilitation staff. Heart rate and heart rhythm are carefully monitored.
Some exercisers continue after rehabilitation. The Abington Fitness Institute has a full range of equipment and classes. Trained exercise physiologists help participants build activity safely. Exercisers learn to monitor their own heart rate. Periodic blood pressure checks are available. For information about the Abington Fitness Institute, call 215-481-5900 or the Cardiac Rehabilitation program at 215-481-5903.
Outpatient Heart Rehabilitation – Cardiac Fitness Program at Abington – Lansdale Hospital
The Cardiac Fitness Program at Abington – Lansdale Hospital provides medically supervised outpatient rehabilitation through exercise, education and support services. Your program begins at an activity level appropriate for your current health. You exercise up to three times a week on specially designed equipment in the Cardiac Fitness Center at Abington – Lansdale Hospital while your heart response is monitored.
Exercise level increases as your strength and tolerance improve. Staff monitor and evaluate your progress, updating your exercise plan accordingly. For information about the Cardiac Fitness Program at Abington – Lansdale Hospital, call 215-361-4579.
Abington Health Center – Willow Grove
2510 Maryland Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090
To schedule an appointment please call 215-481-5909.
Abington – Lansdale Hospital
100 Medical Campus Drive
Lansdale, PA 19446
To schedule an appointment please call 215-361-4579.
Jefferson Torresdale Hospital
10800 Knights Road
Philadelphia, PA 19114
To schedule an appointment please call 215-612-5360.
Jefferson Methodist Hospital
2422 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, Pa 19145
To schedule an appointment please call 215-952-9186.