Inpatient Care for Children
Nemours Children’s Health System at Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health
We know that children are not just small adults. They require specialized equipment and have unique medical and emotional needs. And their families need care too.
We've made a promise to care for every child as we would our own and to make every family's experience the best it can be. We do this by providing pediatric care in a family-centered, child-friendly environment. Our specialists take a whole-child approach to healing by integrating advanced clinical care with research, education and prevention.
Our pediatric unit, located on the first floor of the Buerger Building, is specially designed and staffed to make your child’s hospital stay positive and comfortable with healthcare providers dedicated to the care of children. Parents are encouraged to stay overnight.
Nemours Children’s Health System hospitalists – doctors board-certified in the hospital care of children, who:
- Provide 24-hour care in Abington Hospital's pediatric unit
- Are on staff at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
- Are in-house 18 hours each day and on call the remainder of the day for consultation when children requiring hospitalization are brought to Abington Hospital's Emergency Trauma Center
- Are available for phone consultation to all pediatric patients brought to the Emergency Department at Abington – Lansdale Hospital
- Consult with specialists at Nemours | Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children via telehealth
- Certified pediatric nurses (CPN) with extensive pediatric experience and advanced certification including pediatric advanced life support and trauma certifications
- Pediatric specialists
- consultations from Nemours Children’s Health System in cardiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, pulmonology, located in Abington Hospital
- Abington specialists with pediatric expertise provide consultations
Your child and family receive caring attention:
- 15 beds for inpatients, most in private rooms with a child-friendly atmosphere
- Room service for patient meals
- Separate treatment room for procedures to maintain a safe environment in patient's rooms
- Parents staying overnight receive sleeping accommodations
- 24/7 parent and grandparent visitation
- Open visitation guidelines for all visitors
- Playroom filled with toys, books and movies
To reach the unit, please call 215-481-2410.
Primary care doctors or other providers are kept informed about patient progress and receive timely discharge summaries.