Am I a Bariatric Candidate?
Who is a Good Surgical Weight Loss Candidate?
Individuals may be considered for weight-loss surgery if they:
- Weigh 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more
- Have a BMI of 35 - 40 with high risk for related conditions, or major physical problems are impairing the patient's life
- Have tried all methods of losing weight
- Have weight-induced medical problems, including diabetes, coronary artery disease, hypertension, sleep apnea or joint pain.
The Institute for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery will consider patients for weight-loss surgery if they:
- Have no endocrine cause of obesity
- Understand the surgery and risks
- Have no drug or alcohol problems
- Have no uncontrolled psychological conditions
- Are dedicated to lifestyle change and follow-up
- Have a good support system
- Are considered a good consensus candidate after evaluation by our team of physicians and other experts