Am I a Bariatric Candidate?
Who is a Good Surgical Weight Loss Candidate?
Individuals may be considered for weight-loss surgery if they:
- Weigh 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more
- Have a BMI of 35 - 40 with high risk for related conditions, or major physical problems are impairing the patient's life
- Have tried all methods of losing weight
- Have weight-induced medical problems, including diabetes, coronary artery disease, hypertension, sleep apnea or joint pain.
To calculate your approximate Body Mass Index (BMI), use the Wellness Tool on the right.
The Institute for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery will consider patients for weight-loss surgery if they:
- Have no endocrine cause of obesity
- Understand the surgery and risks
- Have no drug or alcohol problems
- Have no uncontrolled psychological conditions
- Are dedicated to lifestyle change and follow-up
- Have a good support system
- Are considered a good consensus candidate after evaluation by our team of physicians and other experts