Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
What Are the Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery?
Laparoscopic and Conventional Weight Loss Surgery
Some patients are not candidates for laparoscopic surgery. Laparoscopic surgery is the more common surgical weight loss procedure and has a number of benefits. These include:
- Weight loss is comparable to open surgery
- Reduction in comorbidities, or related conditions
- Low complication rates
- Shorter hospital stay (two or three days vs.
- Less pain
- Fewer wound infections
- Low risk of hernia formation
- Earlier recovery
- Earlier return to work and activities
- Better cosmetic results
Conventional weight loss surgery is performed with an open incision and may require a longer hospital stay.
The surgeon will counsel patients about the type of surgery that is right for them.