Low Dose CT Screening for Smokers
The use of low-dose, CT scans of the chest has been shown to reduce lung cancer deaths. The purpose of a CT screening test is to identify the presence of cancer in individuals before they demonstrate any symptoms.
To qualify for lung cancer screening, you must meet the following criteria:
- Age 50 to 80
- No signs or symptoms of lung cancer
- Current smoker or smoker who has quit within the last 15 years
- 30 pack/year history of smoking (for example, one pack a day for 30 years or two packs a day for 15 years)
Health Insurance Coverage
Medicare and Medicare-based plans, as well as most private medical insurance plans, cover the cost of the test. You may have co-pays or deductibles.
How to Schedule
There are two options for scheduling a lung CT scan.
1. Through your primary care physician
Once your doctor provides a prescription for the test and, if required by your insurance plan, the appropriate precertification has been acquired from your primary care physician, you can schedule your test at a convenient location:
- Jefferson Lansdale Hospital
- Jefferson Health – Blue Bell
- Jefferson Health – Warminster
- Jefferson Health – Willow Grove
2. Via the Lung Cancer Screening Program
Call 215-481-6072 to see if you are eligible for screening and to set up an appointment. Our team will provide you information about the test, pre-certify the test with your health insurance company and schedule the test at one of our convenient locations. Counseling to stop smoking is also available. Please call 215-672-6072 to learn more.
Take a Step to Quit
If you have been considering quitting, but don’t know how to begin, here are four options to help you get started.
- Make an appointment with your healthcare provider to discuss quitting.
- Contact Anne Marie Kinsey, nurse practitioner with Jefferson Health – Abington, who provides individual counseling and medications, if needed. Most insurance plans cover this service. Call 215-481-6070.
- Enroll in the Jefferson Health – Abington Smoking Cessation Program, 7 week session, $25. For more information or to register, call 215-481-2204.
- Call the State of Pennsylvania’s Smoking Quitline: 1-800-QUIT-NOW