Abington – Jefferson Health Patient Centered Care Visitation
Abington – Jefferson Health welcomes the support of our patients’ loved ones in their care. Our staff will work with patients to identify their support persons, which helps facilitate open communications about their loved ones’ care. Support persons have 24/7 access to the hospital.
Guidelines for all visitors
Our first priority is the safety and well-being of our patients, including ensuring sufficient time for rest. Visiting hours are flexible and designed to be in the best interest of our patients and their loved ones.
- The number of visitors in a room at one time depends on the needs and comfort of the patient. Please respect the request of the nursing staff if they ask to limit the number of visitors or times of visitation to allow patients to rest and recuperate.
- Children under age 14 are welcome to visit when accompanied by and under the supervision of an adult. There is limited access for children in critical care areas. Please discuss with the nurse.
- All doors to the buildings are secured between 9 p.m. – 6 a.m. If you need to visit during these times, please enter and exit through the Emergency Trauma Center or Emergency Department.
- Visitors are reminded to wash their hands before and after patient contact, using the restroom and handling food.
- Visitors with cold symptoms or gastrointestinal flu symptoms are encouraged to stay home.
Areas with special instructions for visitors
- Critical care: Our critical care units may have more restrictive visiting hours to support care delivery and patient rest. A Communication Partnership Agreement helps individualize the needs of each patient in the critical care area to ensure patient and family needs are met. Please discuss your individual communication plan with the nurse.
- Maternity: Maternal/Child areas at Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health support a family-friendly approach to visitation. Fathers/labor coaches/support person or person with the newborn ID band, are welcome 24 hours each day. The Special Care Nursery welcomes parents at any time. For the safety of our newborn infants access is controlled and visitation guidelines for children, siblings, family and friends are available at the nurse's station. Please see our Maternity Flu Season Visitor Policy.
- Behavioral Health: Abington Hospital’s Behavioral Health Unit visiting hours are designed to support the care and therapy of our patients. The following hours support a safe and holistic environment:
- Every day, including weekends and holidays:
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Only two visitors per patient at one time. Visitors requesting permission to visit outside of of regular visiting hours must obtain a physician order or permission from the nurse manager/designee. Children under 14 years of age are not permitted on the unit except with a physician order or permission from the nurse manager/designee.