Become a Patient and Family Advisor
Jefferson Abington Hospital
The provision of care is not the same as the experience of the illness – both perspectives are needed. Patients and families are part of their care and we as caregivers are part of their experience. – Calgary Health – IHI 2007
Patient and Family Advisory Program Vision Statement:
Our goal is to improve safety, quality and patient experience of care by building strong partnerships with patients, their families and drawing from their experiences.
What is a patient /family advisor?
A patient and family advisor is someone who:
- Volunteers to serve as a “Voice” for Jefferson Health – Abington patients and families
- Partners with us to promote our values to Put People First; Be Bold and Think Differently and Do the Right Thing
- Helps strengthen collaboration between patients, families and the Jefferson Health – Abington healthcare team
- Works with staff to improve services that affect patients and family members
Patient and family advisors help disseminate information and implement services that affect our patients and families. They support patients and their families in becoming informed advocates. Advisors may serve as focus group members; survey data analyzers and project team members. They participate in experience shadowing and speakers’ bureaus.
Who can be a patient and family advisor?
You can be a patient and family advisor if you or a loved one has received care at Jefferson Abington Hospital in the last five years. The most important qualification is your experience (positive or one that would describe opportunities for improvement) as a patient or patient representative. We will provide any other training that you need.
Is being a patient and family advisor right for you?
Being a patient and family advisor may be a good match with your skills and experiences if you can:
- Discuss both positive and negative care experiences and share your thoughts on what went well and how things could have been done differently
- Listen and share opinions respectfully
- Think about how to improve health care in our community
- Keep any information that you hear as an advisor confidential.
Please join us! Together we can work to make our hospital the best it can be!