Jefferson Lansdale Hospital
A Brief History
Lansdale Hospital Receives National Recognition for Excellence
Marking Five Years Since Joining Abington Health.– Read More
In 1934, Frank E. Boston, M.D., a local primary care physician, established Elm Terrace Hospital, a privately owned hospital in Lansdale at Seventh and Broad Streets. At the time, the hospital had 23 beds. In 1939, the Hospital was established as a non-profit and renamed North Penn Hospital. By 1952 it had grown to 37 beds with a waiting list for patients to be admitted and in 1953, ground was broken for the first major expansion at the Broad Street site. In September, 1955 a four story building with 147 beds was dedicated.
By 1973, the Hospital needed to expand again and plans were developed to move to a larger campus in Hatfield Township. This larger facility, with 150 beds, was dedicated on April 26, 1980.
In February 2002, Universal Health Services (UHS), a King of Prussia based national company, purchased the North Penn Hospital, converting it to a for profit facility and renaming it Central Montgomery Medical Center. UHS added services and programs, including an MRI unit, interventional radiology suite, and a medical arts building attached to the hospital on the 120 acre campus. In addition, the emergency department was upgraded to a state of the art 24 bed unit.
In October, 2008, Abington Memorial Hospital (AMH) acquired Central Montgomery Medical Center and converted it back to a non-profit entity. AMH pledged to maintain the hospital as an acute care inpatient facility, including emergency services, while growing outpatient programs. The Hospital was renamed Lansdale Hospital and provides 135 acute care beds.
In July 2009 new emergency medicine physicians were brought on board to staff the Emergency Department at Lansdale Hospital. These physicians, along with 11 advance practice professionals, are members of Abington Emergency Physician Associates, the same group that practices at Abington Memorial Hospital (AMH), the only Level II Trauma Center in Montgomery County. This group has achieved and maintained high patient satisfaction scores in emergency services at both hospitals.
In keeping with the commitment to enhance services at the Lansdale Hospital campus, the Orthopaedic and Spine Institute opened in January 2011. This represented the first system-wide service line introduced under the Abington Health name, with premier locations at both Lansdale Hospital and Abington Memorial Hospital. The Institute was developed in concert with orthopaedic and spine specialists at both hospitals. Services include medical/surgical treatment for joint replacement, spine surgery, sports medicine, hand and trauma treatment and rehabilitation. Patients can take advantage of a mini-revolution in hip, knee and spine surgery. The Institute was created in a “one-stop” facility, including pre-admission testing and education as well as physical therapy for inpatients. Andrew M. Star, M.D., serves as Medical Director of the Institute.
In addition to the Orthopaedic and Spine Institute, Lansdale provides a full range of inpatient and outpatient services to meet the needs of the North Penn and Hatfield Township communities.