The outpouring of support by our community for our health care workers during the COVID-19 pandemic has been a source of strength for all of us. In response to the many inquiries, Abington – Jefferson Health has set up a convenient drop-off site for medical supplies in Abington, across from Abington Hospital.
Additionally, monetary donations can be made online to the Jefferson COVID-19 Better Together Fund and the Abington COVID-19 Feeding the Frontlines Fund.
COVID 19 Update: Plasma Donations Sought to Help Other COVID 19 Patients
There are nationwide efforts underway to treat COVID-19 patients with plasma donated by individuals who have recovered from the COVID-19 virus. The rationale for this is that the plasma may have antibodies that might help COVID-19 patients fight their infection. This plasma will be used as a trial treatment for Jefferson patients who are currently hospitalized for treatment of COVID-19 infection.
The Jefferson Blood Donor Center (located at 111 South 10th Street, Gibbon 1114) is using a process called plasmapheresis, a routine blood collection donation technique that takes slightly longer than a regular whole blood donation. We are sharing this information with you in the event that you or someone you know has recovered from COVID-19 and is interested in donating plasma to help others.
Please note that this work involves research to assess whether the plasma does improve outcomes for COVID-19 patients. The plasma will be used as a trial treatment for Jefferson patients who are currently hospitalized for treatment of COVID-19 infection. Therefore, donors will be asked to sign a research consent form as part of their participation. Potential donors will be contacted by our research staff to complete screening eligibility for donation, obtain consent for research participation and help coordinate donation.
Be assured that the Jefferson Blood Donor Center is set up to maintain social distancing. The safety of all our donors is our top priority.
If you are interested, please visit jeffersonhealth.org/covidplasma to complete a short screening and intake form, or email email@example.com with any questions.
Medical Supply Drop Off Site
Levy Medical Plaza (across from Abington Hospital)
1235 Old York Road (off of Woodland Road)
Monday to Friday
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All products should be in their original packaging -- unopened and unexpired. The medical equipment we’re accepting at this time includes:
- N-95 respirator masks (medical grade preferred) or industrial, NIOSH and FDA approved
- Hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Surgical grade ear loop facemasks (preferred) or tieback face masks
- Masks with face shields
- Goggles (no openings on sides)
- Water-tight isolation gowns
COVID-19 Better Together Fund
The COVID-19 outbreak has impacted the world and challenged Jefferson to new levels. During this time of unprecedented uncertainty, Jefferson is committed to putting people first by providing the support necessary to ensure our employees and students are able to adapt to the ever-changing circumstances COVID-19 has presented.
The COVID-19 Better Together Fund will help in real ways by:
- Supporting JeffSecure, our emergency fund to assist students with financial support for the unexpected, unforeseen, and unavoidable emergency expenses they are facing with our campus closures.
- Providing assistance for employees facing unforeseen hardships, and ensuring food and housing security.
- Funding transportation for employees if public transportation becomes compromised.
- Helping subsidize elder care and childcare options for employees who have limited to no support.
Click here to make a donation to the COVID-19 Better Together Fund.
Abington COVID-19 Feeding the Frontlines Fund
This fund will help to provide our frontline staff who care for our patients with meals during their shift. All donations are greatly appreciated.
To make an online donation to this fund, please follow the below instructions.
1. Go to the Abington Health Foundation Giving Page.
2. Select your giving amount and payment type.
3. In the 'choose your designation' field, select 'Abington COVID-19 Feeding the Frontlines' from the drop-down menu.
4. Complete your donation by clicking the 'give now' button.
While checks are still greatly appreciated, limited staff and resources are delaying the prompt processing of physical checks. Online gifts will provide instant funds to support those on the frontlines.