White Bean Chicken Chili
4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
5 cups water
1 large onion, chopped and divided
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 celery ribs, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
3 (16 oz.) cans great Northern beans, well rinsed, drained and divided
3 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 bay leaf
- Place chicken, water, and half of an onion in a large Dutch oven over medium/high heat, and cook 15-18 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet; add celery and remaining onion, and sauté until tender.
- Stir chicken, celery mixture, 2 cans beans well rinsed, chilies, chicken broth, cumin, bay leaf and ground red pepper into broth in Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 1 hour, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Process remaining 1 can beans in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir bean puree into chili to thicken.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Total calories 245