Fennel Salad with Seasonal Greens and Kumquats
Ingredients for salad
1 small head of fennel
1 oz walnut pieces, toasted and coarsely chopped
2 fresh kumquats
3 oz fresh seasonal greens
Ingredients for vinaigrette
2 teaspoons walnut oil
4 oz fresh orange juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf tarragon
- Trim fennel stalks, fronds and thick root end. Wash well. Reserve fronds for garnish.
- Cut in half lengthwise (from root end through stalks).
- Cut out wedged shape core in center of each half and discard. Thinly slice the fennel bulb into half moons.
- Wash kumquats. Using sharp serrated knife, slice into thin discs. Discard seeds and ends.
- Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Toss fennel and kumquats in vinaigrette. Arrange greens on chilled salad plates.
- Place fennel and kumquats on top of greens. Strew a few walnut pieces on each salad.
- Garnish with a fennel frond, if desired.
Total calories 104
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrate 11 g
Fiber 3 g
Sodium 182 mg