Shrimp and Scallop Stew
2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, washed
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)
1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper, seeded (optional)
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4" dice
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (canned or in cartons), with juice
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup water
3/4 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, tail section left on, thawed
3/4 lb sea scallops or large bay scallops, muscle removed
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
3 cups cooked whole wheat couscous (one 10 oz. box)
- Slice leeks in half lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch dice.
- In a stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic; sauté, stirring, until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add jalapeno, carrots, spices, and salt; lower heat to medium low and cook until carrots are almost tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, wine, and 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and scallops; cook until just opaque, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add cilantro and serve over couscous.
Total calories 358
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 128 mg
Protein 28 g
Carbohydrate 41 g
Fiber 4 g
Sodium 1,100 mg