Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich with Red Pepper Garlic Mayo
4 fresh Portobello mushrooms, cleaned
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 thick slices sweet onion
4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
1 large ripe tomato, sliced
4 slices low-fat Swiss cheese
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
Ingredients for mayonnaise
1 clove fresh garlic
1/2 cup chopped and drained roasted red pepper
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill (or broiler) to medium heat and spray with oil spray. Skip to step 3 if you do not plan to use the mayonnaise.
- Prepare the mayonnaise first. Put all the mayonnaise ingredients in a food processor and purée until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the stems and gills (the dark part of the underside of the mushroom cap) from the Portobello mushrooms to expose the white meat. Then peel the caps using a paring knife to remove the paper-thin, dark exterior. Mix vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Brush mixture onto the mushrooms, and allow to stand at room temperature for at least 5 minutes.
- Grill or broil mushrooms and onion slices until both are soft, well-marked and lightly brown, about 5 to 8 minutes, turning on each side. You can also bake at 450° for about 8 minutes. If mushroom and onions are cooked ahead of time, hold at room temperature until sandwich is ready, or refrigerate. Reheat before assembling.
- To prepare the sandwiches, toast the buns until lightly colored and soft and place on plate. Spread 1 tablespoon roasted red pepper mayonnaise (optional) on the bottom halves of the bun. Top with spinach, mushroom, slices of tomato, grilled onion and a slice of cheese.
Total calories 370
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 14 mg
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 47 g
Fiber 6 g
Sodium 914 mg