2 cups fresh zucchini, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh green or red bell pepper, chopped vegetable oil spray
3 cups egg substitute
8 oz fresh mushrooms, damp-wiped and finely chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups skim milk
2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a large skillet with vegetable spray. Over medium high heat, sauté zucchini, onion, garlic, bell peppers and Italian seasoning until vegetables are tender but not brown. Add mushrooms and cook a few minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg substitute and milk and whisk well. Fold vegetable mixture into egg mixture and mix well.
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish. Pour the vegetable-egg mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle with cheddar and parmesan cheese. Place baking dish on a jellyroll pan to ensure even cooking.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until puffy, lightly browned and set. Place the casserole on a warming tray if it is to be left standing longer than 20 minutes.
- Casserole can be baked the day before. Refrigerate and reheat in the oven the next day. This method works well because it cuts nicely and improves the flavor. Other options: bake it and serve it at once, or cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight and then bake.
Total calories 80
Fat 1.5 g (15%)
Cholesterol 5 mg
Protein 12 g (56%)
Carbohydrate 5 g (34%)
Sodium 420 mg
Fiber 1 g