In Caring for Baby, a Registered Nurse will guide expectant parents in basic newborn care. All couples will receive a beautiful 104-page book that includes information on safety, becoming new parents, developmental milestones for the first 3 months and more. The color photographs in the book coordinate with the Power Point presentation in the class.
Feedback from recent classes includes:
- "I learned so much- and the book is perfect for new parents to refer to after baby is born"
- "My instructor was someone with personal and professional experience- I liked that."
- "We decided last minute to fit this one in and we are so glad we did! We felt so much more comfortable about the arrival of our baby."
- "I would not hesitate to recommend this class to everyone. There was so much great information covered. The hands on diapering demo, bathing tips and how to care for a newborn has made me feel more confident about becoming a new mom. Thank you for an excellent class!"
Each couple will have a newborn sized doll to learn:
- How to sponge bathe and care for the delicate skin of a newborn
- Swaddling technique
- Changing a diaper
- Umbilical Cord Care
- How to use a nasal bulb syringe
- How to pick up, hold and burp a newborn
The class will cover the following information:
- Normal newborn appearance, reflexes and senses
- When it is appropriate to call your babies healthcare team for concerns such as illness and fever
- Sleep Patterns of a newborn
- Safe Sleeping for Newborns
- Is my newborn getting enough to eat?
- A video that demonstrates newborn care
- And so much more
Knowing what to expect and how to care for your newborn can help ease the anxiety that every new parent feels. This class assists expectant parents with the confidence you need to care for and bond with your new baby.
The Willowood Building is located at the Abington Health Center, 2510 Maryland Road in Willow Grove. We suggest parking in the area marked W1 and entering on the East entrance under the arrow seen in the picture below.
To access the Willowood Building after 5:00 pm, please press the button on the Airphone by the outer door. This will signal the instructor in the classroom that the door needs to be electronically unlocked for you to enter.
FOR CLASS CANCELLATIONS DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER OR OTHER EMERGENCIES, PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR E-MAIL AND PHONE NUMBER WHERE WE MAY BEST REACH YOU WHEN YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR CLASSES ONLINE. CLASS CANCELLATION INFORMATION WILL ALSO BE POSTED ON OUR WEB SITE OR YOU MAY CALL 215-481-6800 BEFORE 4 PM OR CALL 215-481-2000 AFTER 5 PM.