Congratulations! Expecting a baby is so exciting and it brings with it many questions that may include:
- What are the signs that my labor has begun?
- The normal progress of labor and birth
- What are some of the techniques and options for coping with labor pain
- How can my spouse/partner help during the labor
- When to call your doctor
Our Childbirth Preparation Classes are taught by RN's specially certified in Childbirth Education. You will learn important information about labor, delivery and postpartum care. It is important that you find out how to identify the signs of labor, concerns and what happens to your body as your baby makes his or her way into the world.
Address your questions: During childbirth classes, you'll have the chance to ask your questions and likely find that others in your class share the same concerns. Your instructor can dispel myths and help put your mind at ease.
The Labor Coach has an important role: Our classes offer your partner or labor coach the chance to understand the process of childbirth as they have questions, too. We will discuss how your Labor Coach (your spouse, partner, etc.) can help support you during labor.
Discuss options for handling pain: Many moms worry about how they will handle labor pain. Your instructor will discuss methods such as breathing techniques, relaxation and visualization for coping with contractions. Classes also cover the pros and cons of common medications, such as epidurals and analgesics used in labor.
Our goal is to provide you with information to prepare for childbirth, help you make informed decisions, and minimize your fears. Couples will be provided with a book to take home.
Feedback on recent class evaluations includes the following statements:
- "This class was extremely informative and assisted in addressing many questions I had. Thank you!"
- "We were hesitant about taking this class due to the cost and time- but it was WORTH IT and helpful to ease pre-delivery nerves. Highly recommend this to all parents."
- "Overall, this class provides a lot of great tools to help understand the signs or pre-labor, labor and post partum. The instructor did a great job answering our questions."
- "The massage, visualization for labor, use of videos, discussion of the labor coaches role- how we can connect and how he can help me- we did not know these things and feel so much more prepared as a couple."
- "The day was PERFECT! It did not feel long and we assumed it would be. It was relaxing and fun. Our instructor was amazing!"
If your class is held on a Saturday or Sunday on our Willow Grove Campus, class will be held in the Willowood Building, 2510 Maryland Road, Ground Floor Classroom. Because this location is not at the hospital, please register for a separate Expectant Parent Orientation/Labor & Delivery Tour. We do not have a cafeteria on our Willowood campus. Please plan to pack a lunch. A self scan/pay snack area is available that also offer ice and water to refill water bottles during the day.
For the floor work exercises in our classes, please bring 2 bed pillows. You are welcome to bring bottled water/juice and snacks.
Please note- our Childbirth Preparation class does not cover Breastfeeding or Caring for Baby class content. You will feel more prepared to care for your newborn by attending those classes as well.
$105/couple payable when you register online. Please note- when registering for this prenatal class, the fee is per couple. You need only register the expectant mothers name. When you register a support person, our system counts it as 2 couples. There is no need to register an additional name with moms when you register. Thank you. Contact your insurance company about class fee reimbursement.
FOR CLASS CANCELLATIONS DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER, PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR E-MAIL AND PHONE NUMBER WHERE WE MAY BEST REACH YOU WHEN YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR CLASSES ONLINE. CLASS CANCELLATION INFORMATION WILL ALSO BE POSTED ON OUR WEB SITE OR YOU MAY CALL 215-481-6800 BEFORE 4 PM OR CALL 215-481-2000 AFTER 5 PM.