Abington - Jefferson Health Resident Selection Policy
Eligibility and Selection of Residents
Abington - Jefferson Health (AH) has a uniform policy for the recruitment and appointment of residents stating that all programs will be monitored by the GMEC to comply with the following requirements. AH will not consider non-eligible graduates for training.
- Resident Eligibility:Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.
- Hold a full and unrestricted license to practice in a U.S. licensing jurisdiction.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME- accredited medical school.
- Resident Selection: As an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/H), the hospital has written policies and procedures for considering applicants to be eligible candidates for its residency programs in an unrestricted manner without regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
- Each program director ranks applicants based on:
- The eligibility requirements of the ACGME.
- The applicant's grades and rank in medical school.
- Letters of recommendation.
- A medical school dean's letter with his/her assessment of the applicant's aptitude and preparedness.
- The applicant's interviews with assessment of communication skills, motivation and integrity.
Particular emphasis is placed on the applicant's interviews. An applicant's preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity are of critical importance.
- Resident selection for all the graduate medical education programs at AH conforms to the rules of the National Resident Matching Program. All programs participate in the NRMP.