Suite 2B, Elkins Building
1200 Old York Road
Abington, PA 19001
For information, please contact: Judi McMichael, Student Coordinator
Phone: 215-481-4350 Fax: 215-481-4361
- 15 core faculty members, including palliative care and geriatrics
- ACGME accredited residency in internal medicine with 44 residents and 2 geriatric fellows.
- Department of Medicine Attendings in general medicine, pulmonary and critical care, cardiology, gastroenterology, infectious disease, nephrology, rheumatology, hematology/oncology, neurology and PMR
- Fellows from Drexel University College of Medicine rotate on many of the medicine subspecialty services and are actively involved in student education
3rd year Clerkship
- TUH: 4-5 students per 8 week rotation
- PCOM: 1 student per 4 week rotation
- DUCOM: 1 student per 4 week Ambulatory Block.
- Inpatient assignment to one of seven general medicine services all of which function in a hospitalist model.
- Inpatient teams consist of an upper-year resident, one to two interns, a third year clerk or physician assistant student and a subintern.
- The DUCOM ambulatory student is assigned to one of 2 AMH outpatient practices.
- TUH generated, case-based curriculum curriculum, delivered by AMH faculty, including the Chief of Medicine, Chief of Staff, and geriatrics, ethics and palliative care faculty.
- TUH students attend Friday afternoon Sim Center conference at TUH
- PCOM students attend weekly student lectures at PCOM.
- Cardiology/ EKG Interpretation: Dr Steven Teich, weekly lecture
- Hematology/Oncology Rounds: Dr. Peter Pickens, weekly case discussion and pathology slide review.
- Student case presentations and bedside rounds with Dr. J. Kelly, Chief of Staff
- Other lectures students are encouraged to attend
- Daily Resident morning report daily, 8:30 – 9:30
- Resident 12 noon conferences
- Medicine Grand Rounds, Wednesday 9AM
- DUCOM Ambulatory student attends twice weekly lecture sessions at the Queen’s Lane campus.
- Schwartz Rounds: 2nd Wednesday of every month except Dec., July & August
- Call and weekends
- 3rd yr clerk and PA Responsibilities on GMF Services, No overnight or long call.
- 4th year Subinterns take one night a week call from 5pm – 8pm, with their resident.
- One 3rd year TUH student is assigned via the TUH lottery to a 4-week rotation with Abington Neurological Associates. The rotation includes both an inpatient service (consultation and primary attending) and an outpatient experience.
- TUH: 1-3 students per 4 week block
- DUCOM: 1-3 students per 4 week block
- PCOM: 1-3 students per 4 week block
- Assigned to one of the 7 inpatient general medicine services, all of which function in a hospitalist model.
- Teams consist of an upper year resident, one to two interns, a third year clerk or physician assistant student and one subintern.
- 8 DUCOM case-based curriculum
- Delivered by DUCOM & AJH faculty
- Weekends and Call
- Subinterns take one night a week call from 5pm – 8pm, with their resident.
- Subinterns make Saturday rounds until 12N.
- Lottery assigned for TUH and DUCOM students.
- Following the lottery, electives can be arranged by calling or emailing Judi McMichael,
- Available to 4th year medical students (allopathic and osteopathic) in good standing. Two-week electives are not available.
- The Department of Medicine does not have a program for international medical graduates seeking an observership.
- Electives offered:
- Infectious Disease
- Coronary Care Unit
- Medical Intensive Care Unit
- Palliative Care
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Neuro Interventional & Neuro Critical Care
- Neurology (DUCOM only)
- Medicine Sub-Internship