Student Programs at Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health
In the business of teaching since opening its doors in 1914, Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health (AH) has established a reputation as a major teaching hospital in the Philadelphia area – a unique combination of an academic medical center in a community hospital setting. With its close proximity to Philadelphia, Abington is uniquely positioned to offer students a complimentary clinical experience to that of their training in any one of the downtown university programs. Formal student teaching affiliations exist with Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University and Thomas Jefferson University – East Falls Campus. Although students have less clinical experience, their voice in managing and caring for patients is no less valuable than any other member of the medical team that cares for patients at Abington.
Did you know that…?
- AJH is a regional referral center and teaching hospital. We see lots of common problems yet also act as a tertiary referral center in the areas of stroke treatment, invasive acute cardiac procedures and valve surgery, bariatric surgery, and rare and complex cancer care, to name a few.
- Approximately 5,000 babies are born at AJH annually, making us one of the busiest centers for maternity care in the State of Pennsylvania.
- As a level-2 trauma center, 24-hour neurosurgical and orthopedic support is available for patients arriving by helicopter or ambulance.
- Each year, more than 130 residents are trained at AJH in independent ACGME accredited programs of family medicine, internal medicine, obstetrics & gynecology, surgery, and dentistry. Residents from Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and Temple rotate at Abington in orthopedic surgery, physical medicine and rehabilitation, psychiatry, plastic surgery, otolaryngology, urology and neurosurgery
- An independent Geriatric fellowship trains two fellows a year.
- Many of the attending staff claim one of the local institutions as their alma mater, fostering a strong commitment to ‘give back’ in the form of mentoring and teaching students. An attending physician at Abington has been the recipient of ‘best affiliate teaching doctor’ voted on by Drexel students for each of the last four years.
For an overview of student rotations available at AJH, please click the listed department:
Please consult your school course guide for a more complete listings and description.