Unit 3 - Primary Operative Management of Morbid Obesity
The fellow will develop surgical competence through experience with bariatric operations. The fellows will develop the skills and knowledge to evaluate and care for patients preoperatively and postoperatively.
- The fellow will be exposed to more than one type of weight loss operation including:
- Restrictive operations, such as bands and vertical sleeve gastrectomies
- Gastric bypass
- Malabsorptive procedures BPD/DS
- The fellow will be exposed to the following surgical techniques:
- Single Site surgery
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic surgery/procedures
- The fellow will participate in the following operations to build upon surgical skills through experience:
- A minimum of 100 weight loss operations
- A minimum of 50 stapling/anastomotic operations
- A minimum of 10 purely restrictive operations
- A minimum of 5 revisional procedures
- The fellow will have an exposure to and /or extensive teaching of bariatric-specific emergency procedures (leaks, bowel obstructions, internal hernias, intussusceptions, gastrointestinal hemorrhage and ulcers).
- The fellow will participate in preoperative evaluation and postoperative management of the bariatric patient, including obesity related conditions
- The fellow will participate in weight loss operations and is projected to perform approximately 400 procedures per year.
- The fellow will assume the role of primary surgeon in 51% of cases, defined as having performed key components of the operation.
- The fellow will participate in a minimum of 50 patient preoperative evaluations and will:
- Order and interpret appropriate testing
- Consult with non-surgical specialists when needed
- Evaluate most appropriate surgical option
- Educate patient on benefits and risks of each option.
- The fellow will participate in the following postoperative patient encounters (eg. hospital rounds) and postoperative outpatient evaluations:
- A minimum of 100 postoperative in-patient management encounters
- A minimum of 100 postoperative outpatient evaluations