Teen Volunteer Opportunities
Abington - Lansdale Hospital
Abington – Lansdale Hospital will be offering the following opportunities for teens during the summer of 2018, running throughout June, July, and August.
- Full summer volunteering opportunity, these positions requires a weekly commitment and the expectation is that barring any emergent, unforeseen or pre-scheduled commitment, you will arrive promptly each week.
- Escort - two to four hour shifts-must be at least 14 years old;
- Nutrition - two hour shifts-must be at least 14 years old;
- Nursing Unit - one-hour shifts-must be at least 15 years old (you will be answering call bells, providing support to clinical associates and nursing staff-including stocking);
- Store Room – two to four hour shifts-must be at least 15 years old;
- Emergency Department – three-hour shifts-must be at least 15 years old.
- Escort-you will be assisting front desk volunteers, ensuring patients, families, visitors in the hospital are properly directed and escorted to their destination. There is opportunity for assisting nursing staff with discharges but it does depend on the time of day. Also, dependent upon the shift, you may be asked to distribute newspapers, mail, and deliver flowers/gifts to patient rooms.
- Nutrition/Hospitality – volunteers would be working with the nutrition staff/host/hostess’ which may include assisting patients with their meal choices, ensuring patients have pleasant meal experiences. Promoting good health through meal choices, understanding how and why we work so closely with our dieticians, nurses and patients is important for a positive outcome during a patient stay.
- Nursing Units – assist staff on the Nursing units with administrative duties as assigned, including, but not limited to telephone operation, assisting with call bells, clerical support- ensuring quality and patient focus, for the overall operation of the unit.
- Store Room – you will be working with our Materials Management department, sorting and delivering items throughout the hospital. This is an opportunity to understand the inter-workings of the departments, what products and supplies go in to making sure daily processes run smoothly and efficiently.
- Emergency Department – The ED volunteer will assist in providing the best experience for patients to make their hospital visit as comfortable and convenient as possible. The ED Volunteer should also be assisting staff as directed with a variety of responsibilities, including stocking, cleaning, as well as acting as a second set of hands, assisting our clinical staff that are responsible for transporting patients.
- Additional Assignments – There are a limited number of spaces available for rotation throughout five specific departments, including Same Day Procedure, Emergency Department, Nursing Unit, Nutrition Services, and Supply Chain Management.
You will be rotating through each department twice during the session. This opportunity will allow you to see the connection each department has on the overall patient experience, with each department having a substantial impact on the needs of patients, both inpatient and outpatient.
This opportunity requires a commitment of 3-4 hours shifts Monday-Friday, for a full two week session, with three sessions available. The dates for this program are 7/9-7/20, 7/23-8/3, 8/6-8/17. You must be available all five weekdays during the two week session in order to
- Shadowing – There is very limited space for rising high school juniors or seniors to participate in shadowing of a physical or occupational therapist for 6 weeks over the summer. Dates to be determined.
To be eligible for any of these opportunities, you must complete a Volunteer Application and are encouraged to include a letter explaining why you would like to be involved with the volunteer program at Abington - Lansdale Hospital. In addition to the references requested on the application, you are urged to include a letter from a teacher/supervisor or someone who is not related to you, providing insight as to why you might be a good fit for our program.
All volunteers are required to have the following completed to be eligible for our program: full vaccination records, including a negative PPD test (dated within the last year) and flu vaccination. Volunteers are required to provide a copy of a government-issued identification with photo, a copy of your current medical insurance card, and social security number-which is required to complete a mandatory background check on all potential volunteers. All volunteers accepted into the program are required to attend mandatory new volunteer orientation, with a date to be provided.
Volunteer applications should be downloaded via the link on this page and mailed to 100 Medical Campus Drive, Lansdale, PA 19446, Attn: Volunteer Resources. If you choose to drop your application at Abington-Lansdale Hospital, please leave it at the main reception desk, in an envelope marked Volunteer Resources. You will be contacted if you are chosen to move forward in our application process. There are no walk-in interviews accepted.
Due to the large number of applications received, we cannot provide status updates on any application.