PLEASE NOTE: Applications are being accepted September 1, 2018 – December 1, 2018
Abington Jefferson Health has offered a Pre-Med Program since 1959. Our program, which spans eight weeks from June to July, allows students considering a career in medicine to gain first-hand experience in the health care field. In order to gain an understanding of the work and responsibilities of a health care provider in a modern hospital complex, we offer a broad exposure to several facets of our organization:
Students are also offered lectures and panels hosted by hospital staff, bonus “pop-up” lectures, and invitations to several hospital conferences and rounds. Altogether, students will work with physicians, physician assistants, residents, and various other advanced practice professionals and staff members of our hospital.
Once accepted into the program, the following activities are mandatory:
- Lectures, which take place every Monday night from 6-8PM at the hospital. Topics may include radiology, applying to medical school, medical ethics, and others.
At least one of the following:
- A Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) shift (4 hours per week, same shift).
- Emergency Trauma Center shift (4 hours per week, varying shifts including nights and weekends).
Along with the requirements above, students have the option to experience the following:
- Bonus lectures
- Hospital rounds & conferences
- Networking opportunities with other students
- Based on student interest, additional experiences can be scheduled
- Must have completed your sophomore year/four semesters in college by the start of the program (June).
- Must either be enrolled or on track to enter into a course of study or a career related to health care.
- Must have a basic understanding of the biological sciences, shown through undergraduate coursework.
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.5 is strongly preferred. Lower GPAs are considered given additional experiences and your personal statement.
- Applicants must exhibit a mature attitude toward the responsibilities and privileges of the Pre-Med program.
- Applicants must attend a group interview/information session. Sessions are conducted in December and January only.
- Once accepted into the program, applicants must be cleared by Employee Health Services in May.
- Once accepted into the program, applicants must provide updated Child Abuse Clearance Certificate in May.
- Once accepted into the program, applicants must provide an FBI Criminal Background Clearance.
A completed application consists of three parts:
- The application itself: this includes work/volunteer experience, academic information, and a personal statement
- Three letters of reference
- College Transcript
We use SurveyMonkey for two of the parts. To apply to the Pre-Med Program, please fill out an application in its entirety. Then send out the reference link. Recommended references should be professional in nature from supervisors, managers, professors, coaches, mentors, advisors, etc. Personal references from colleagues will also be accepted. Be sure to follow up with your references to ensure you make the deadline. If you already have existing letters, please scan them and send to AMH-GME@jefferson.edu with "Pre-Med Letter of Reference for [Your Name]" in the title.
Please submit your completed application and your three references by December 1st. The earlier we receive all parts of your application, the sooner the committee reviews your application for interview acceptance.
If you have any questions please call us at 215-481-2606.