New Employee Orientation
HR will facilitate your appointment for the post-offer physical. You will be required to report to the HR department 30 minutes prior to the appointment for your physical to complete new hire paperwork (including showing your social security card) and have your photo taken for your hospital ID.
The post-offer physical evaluation is performed by the Employee Health department and consists of a personal medical history, physical examination, drug test and any other tests or vaccinations as needed. Depending on your work assignment, you may be required to undergo a functional capacity evaluation. This test evaluates your ability to perform physical tasks required to meet essential job functions as detailed in the job description. In order to protect our patients, as well as our employees, we require certain immunizations and screening tests. These requirements are as follows:
- We require documentation of a Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) immunization (2 doses) or immunity (lab test results). If you are unable to provide this documentation at the time of your physical, you will be required to have a blood test (serologic titers) done at that time. If you require vaccination, we will provide that to you free of charge.
- All employees are required to have flu vaccination on file, annually. If you cannot provide documentation of a flu vaccination upon hire, one will be administered to you free of charge. If you are unable to be vaccinated because of a medical or religious reason, please speak to Employee Health about the exemption process.
- We require immunity (lab test results) to varicella or documentation of varicella vaccine immunization. If you are unable to provide this documentation at the time of your physical, you will be required to have a blood test (serologic titers) done at that time. If you require vaccination, we will provide that to you free of charge.
- We perform booster PPD testing at the time of hire. PPD testing is done to screen for Tuberculosis (TB) infection. Booster testing involves two skin tests done one week apart. This is a recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This procedure would identify if you have been exposed to TB. If you have a history of positive TB skin tests, then you will be asked to get a chest x-ray, provided free of charge. If you have had a PPD testing within the past 12 months of hire, we will accept this as one of your PPDs. One PPD is required to be completed by Abington Health.
- We offer all employees who have potential for contact with blood or body fluids the Hepatitis B Vaccine free of charge. If you have been vaccinated in the past, we require a copy of that documentation. If you have had the Hepatitis B titer done, we would like a copy of that as well.
- We also require an eight-panel urine drug test and nicotine test. In addition to testing for illegal drugs, Abington – Jefferson Health screens new hires for nicotine in an effort to have a healthy workforce and to contain costs of providing health care benefits to our employees. Nicotine is a health risk, and Abington will not hire people who smoke or use products that contain nicotine or illegal drugs. Consent for testing is part of the Consent for Physical Exam form.