Preparing for Your Surgical/Medical Procedure
The surgical suites at Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health and Abington – Lansdale Hospital care for two kinds of patients – those who will return home on the day of their procedure, and those who will be admitted to the hospital following their surgery.
Because you may have questions regarding your procedure, we recommend that you read and follow these instructions.
The Day Before Your Surgery
- Notify your doctor immediately if you get a cold, cough, fever, sore throat, or any illness before your surgery date.
- It is hazardous to have anesthesia with anything in your stomach – including water, juice, tea, coffee, solid food, chewing gum, breath mints, and hard candy. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before you come to the hospital for your surgery.
- There is always the possibility that your surgery time could change. If this happens, your surgeon’s office will notify you of your new OR and arrival times.
- Take a bath or shower the night before and morning of surgery. This helps decrease your chance of getting an infection. Do the following:
- Use a fresh bar or liquid antibacterial soap
- Wet your body and wash with soap and clean washcloth
- Rinse well; it is important to get all the soap off your body
- Dry well with a clean towel
- Put on clean clothes
- Do not use lotion, cream or powder
- Do not shave the area where the surgery will be performed
The Day of Your Surgery
- Avoid swallowing water when you brush your teeth. With your physician’s permission, you may take your medications with a sip of water.
- Leave all valuables at home. Children may bring a favorite toy or blanket.
- For your safety remove makeup and all leave all jewelry (including wedding rings and any piercings) at home. Absolutely no dentures or contacts are permitted in the operating room.
- If you are staying overnight, please leave your overnight bag in your car. Your family may bring it to your post-op room after surgery.
- If you have any results, consent forms, physical examination reports, information from a consulting physician, your living will and/or durable power of attorney for health care, please bring them with you and give them to the nurse when you arrive.
- Tell the nurse if you wear dentures or other prosthetic devices.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes the day of surgery to be more comfortable.
- Bring your insurance information.
- Bring a list of your medications (prescription and OTC) including vitamins and any herbals or supplements. Also include dosage and frequency.
Arrival and Parking Information:
At Abington Hospital:
- Please park in the Zipley Garage. Valet parking is available at the Lenfest Entrance from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Report to the reception desk on the first floor of the Lenfest Pavilion, unless otherwise instructed. Adult patients and children over 14 years old report at least two hours before surgery. Pediatric patients under age 13 report 90 minutes before surgery.
At Abington – Lansdale Hospital:
- Please park in the lot near the main entrance and proceed to Registration. Both the parking lot and valet parking are free.
Same Day Procedures
- To allow your recovery to be restful and private, only one adult support person at a time may visit you. Supervised children are welcome in our waiting area during your recovery.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home. If you plan to take public transportation, a responsible adult must be with you.
We recommend that you arrange for a family member or friend to remain with you for the first 24 hours following your surgery.
About the Lenfest Family Lounge
The Family Lounge, first floor, Lenfest Pavilion, is easily accessed by a covered bridge from the Zipley Garage. The Lounge is staffed from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on weekdays.
Patients and the person escorting them should check in at the reception desk. If arriving before 8 a.m. for surgery, please check for a sign-in sheet on the front desk.
Guests escorting patients must check in at the desk. They will either be issued a pager or should leave a personal cell phone number so they can be updated on the patient’s condition. If patients are unaccompanied, they should leave a phone number for a contact person at the front desk so our medical staff can reach them.
Outpatient Procedures Suite at Abington – Lansdale Hospital:
- On the day of your surgery, report to patient registration just off the main lobby on the ground floor of the hospital. You will be greeted by a staff member and directed to the Outpatient Procedures Suite. A nurse will explain your plan of care, familiarize you with the unit and the hospital and prepare you for your procedure.
- Following your surgery, you may be taken to the Post Anesthesia Care Unit and later will return to the Outpatient Procedures Suite until you are ready to be discharged. Recovery usually takes less than two hours, but may take up to five hours.