Inpatient Geropsychiatry Program
Our hospital-based geriatric mental health care includes short-term, intensive therapy focused on the special needs of older adults.
Patients admitted to the recently updated Behavioral Health Unit at Abington Memorial Hospital receive care in a safe and secure environment, with private and semi-private rooms.
Comprehensive medical treatment for senior inpatients includes:
- Complete evaluation
- Clinical investigation of the cause of confusion and depression
- Psychiatric supervision and medication
- Individual psychotherapy daily with a geropsychiatrist or primary therapist
- Creative arts and recreation therapy, with special track for those with cognitive impairments, including dementia
- Exercise and leisure games
- Pet therapy
- Coping skills sessions
- Group therapy
- Spirituality group and more
Geriatric social workers are available to patients and families for consultation regarding post-discharge placement.
For more information or 24-hour admissions, call 215-481-2525.