Palliative Care Site Clinical Immersion Experience
Abington – Jefferson Health offers a clinical immersion opportunity to organizations interested in building or enhancing their Palliative Care program. You will have firsthand experience with a program that has earned the Joint Commission’s Advanced Certification for Palliative Care.
The experience includes:
- Daily interdisciplinary team meeting for patient case review and case triage
- Explanation of the role of each member of the team and their focus
- Discussion of quality measures and outcomes, as well as evidence based resources
- Facilitating a bereavement process
- Explanation of PC’s relationship with inpatient /home hospice
- Planning for ongoing staff education (for the palliative care team as well as hospital clinical staff) and retreat activities
- Shadow experience with multidisciplinary team members during inpatient rounding and consultation
Typical rounding experiences include:
- Pain and symptom management
- Discussions of treatment plans for goals of care (restorative or comfort focused), with patients and medical decision makers as well as staff members involved in patient care
- Family meeting procedure. An honest and open discussion of goals of care, advance directives, legalities of decision making, support for the patient/family, and alternative care pathways. Questions are answered for all interested parties, including loved ones as well as the medical team.
- Securing legal medical decision making proxy
- Palliative extubation
Visitation Options and Fees
Daily fee of $100.00 per person
Weekly fee of $500.00 per person
For More Information
Contact Maria Doll-Shaw, DrNPc, MS, RN-BC, 215-481-8713
You may also refer to the Center for the Advancement of Palliative Care (CAPC) website for more information.