Jefferson Health Home Care and Hospice bereavement programs provide care and support to those who have experienced a loss.
The death of a loved one is a challenging and intensely personal experience. Your grief journey can be overwhelming or even confusing at times. Grief is a natural response to loss. Grief is hard work. It can be both physically and emotionally draining. It is not unusual to experience intense sorrow, extreme fatigue, confusion, sleeplessness, body aches, and for some anger, fear or guilt. There is no single or best way to grieve. There is no timeline to predict when you might begin to be reconciled with your loss. But there are things you can do to care for yourself and facilitate healing.
Abington provides several programs and support groups, for children to adults, who have experienced the loss of a loved one.
- First Steps: Beginning the Journey: Grief is a natural response to loss. We grieve because we love. This general bereavement support group meets in the evening in the Willowood Building at the Abington Health Center – Willow Grove. The program is educational as well as provides a support component. To attend, please call to register at 215-441-6842.
- Younger Widow/Widower Bereavement Support Group: This program is held in the evening an the Abington Health Center – Willow Grove. Call for more information or to register 215-441-6842.
- Remembering Mom: A pre-mother’s day, evening program for adult children who have lost their mother. For additional information or to register, please call 215-441-6842.
- A Family Legacy – Giving Thanks: This program is an opportunity for grieving individuals or family to share the memories and legacy of your loved one. A keepsake will be created to honor his/her place in your heart and home. The program is held before Thanksgiving at the Abington Health Center – Warminster. Registration is required. Space is limited. Please call 215-441-6842 to register or for additional information. Please bring a photo and/or memento of your loved one.
- Coping with the Holidays: This program is held in anticipation of the fall and winter holiday season. It explores the impact of the seasonal demands on the grieving person. Tools to better prepare yourself for balancing your personal needs and expectations amidst the hustle and bustle that surrounds you will be discussed. Please call 215-441-6842 to register for the session that meets your schedule/needs.
- Service of Remembrance: Remembering Those We Have Loved: Held twice a year in spring and fall, this solemn ceremony recognizes those who have passed in the previous year. For more information, please call 215-441-6842.
- Pastoral Care Department Bereavement Support