Calypso® 4D Localization System GPS for the Body®
We offer the Calypso® 4D Localization System for the treatment of prostate cancer. This technology ensures the prostate is exactly aligned with the radiation beam during treatment. With Calypso technology, physicians are able to prescribe higher doses of radiation to a smaller area.
How Does it Work?
- Three tiny Beacon® electromagnetic transponders, the size of a grain of rice, are implanted into the prostate.
- The Beacons communicate with the Calypso system using safe radiofrequency waves.
- Radiation is delivered by linear accelerator while the prostate is monitored by the Calypso system. This lets our professionals see if the prostate has drifted out of alignment before or during treatment and then make adjustments accordingly.
Benefits of Radiation Treatment with Calypso
- The prostate is a continuously moving organ. This system provides the ability to monitor the real-time position of the prostate for more precise treatment.
- The radiation dose can be increased while keeping the targeted area smaller.
- Decreased side effects because of smaller treatment area.
- Better expected outcomes because of high doses that can be safely delivered using the Calypso system.
Time Frame for Treatment
Treatment of prostate cancer using the Calypso system is usually five days per week for eight to nine weeks.
To learn more, contact our Radiation Oncology Department at 215-481-2800 or call Physician Referral for physicians trained to use the Calypso system at 215-481-MEDI. More information can also be obtained by calling the Prostate Evaluation Program at 215-481-MALE.