Financial Assistance Program
Financial Counseling Program
1200 Old York Road
Abington, PA 19001
Important Information for Patients who are Uninsured or Underinsured
Abington Health is proud of its mission to provide quality medical care to all patients. That means ensuring that you and your family have access to health care no matter what your circumstances. The following information describes our generous financial assistance program for patients who are uninsured or experience gaps in their insurance plans. If you do not have health insurance and worry that you may not be able to pay for your care, we may be able to help.
This policy applies to patients served by:
What if I need emergency care but don't have insurance?
First and foremost, patients will NEVER be refused emergency department services because of their financial or insurance status.
What’s covered under the Financial Assistance Program?
All medically necessary services are eligible for financial assistance. Exempt from the Financial Assistance Program are services such as in vitro fertilization services, cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery, and any other service not medically necessary. Co-pays, deductibles and/or coinsurance for patients who have medical coverage also are excluded from this assistance unless a hardship can be documented.
Do I qualify?
You may qualify for financial assistance if:
- You do not have insurance or your insurance does not cover the medical care needed (for example, you have used up your insurance benefits).
- You are not eligible for government or other insurance coverage.
- You are not eligible for Pennsylvania state medical assistance or other assistance programs.
- Your family income is less than 600% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
- You live in Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Delaware or you received emergency care at Abington Health and live in another state.
How much of a discount will I be eligible to receive?
Eligibility for our Financial Assistance Program is based upon financial need.
- If your household income falls between 0% - 300% of the Federal Poverty Level, based on total household income, with supporting documentation provided, you will receive a 100% discount and owe nothing for the services received.
- Patients above the 300% threshold, up to a maximum of 600% of the FPL, are eligible for a sliding scale discount. These discounts are based upon the Medicare fee-for-service rates in place at the time of determination.
How do I apply for financial assistance?
Contact Abington Health’s Financial Counseling Program at 215-481-2185. A financial counselor will help you determine if you are eligible for government-sponsored programs, and can offer assistance with the Health Insurance Exchange and other insurance coverage.
If you don’t qualify for other coverage, you will need to complete a Financial Assistance Application and include all necessary supporting documents.
How long is the financial assistance available?
Once financial assistance has been approved, it is effective for all outstanding patient accounts incurred during the past six months and for all services provided within six months after the application is signed. Upon request, financial assistance may be extended for an additional six months with confirmation of the patient’s income or estimated income and household size. When you have completed the application process and have been approved, you will receive an eligibility card with an expiration date.
What documents will I need to provide to qualify?
- Proof of your address (Driver’s license, utility bills, etc.)
- Proof of your date of birth
- Proof of income (copy of most recent income tax documents)
- Copy of checking account statements for the past three months
- Record of assets (stocks, bonds, rental property, bank accounts, CD’s)
- Unemployment compensation determination Letter
- Other documents may be required
Are doctor’s office visit services discounted under this financial assistance policy?
Certain physicians will provide discounted services even if they are not members of the Abington Health Physicians network. All services provided by Abington Health Physicians will be eligible under this Financial Assistance Program.
What if I’m not eligible for financial assistance or don’t want to supply all necessary supporting financial documents?
If you’re not eligible, the “Uninsured Fee Schedule” will apply for hospital inpatient and outpatient services, and you will be responsible for the remaining open balances.
The uninsured fee schedule is an automatic 50% discount off charges for hospital inpatient and outpatient services.
Please note that the uninsured fee schedule does not apply to bills for physician or Abington Health Urgent Care services.
Patients may also be eligible to apply for interest-free financing to cover your hospital bills, for more information, visit our website or contact the Financial Counseling Program.