AMH Preadmission Center
Preparation, Assessment, Testing and Teaching
The Preadmission Center at Abington Memorial Hospital is a unique unit that is dedicated to meeting the concerns of our pre-operative and pre-procedure patients and their families.
In preparation for your surgery or special procedure, you will be asked questions that will help us plan for your individual care. All patients will receive a preadmission evaluation with pre-procedure teaching by a registered nurse over the phone. Depending upon factors such as age and/or previous medical history, and planned procedure you may need additional diagnostic testing in the Preadmission Testing Department at Abington Memorial Hospital.
How to Prepare for the Preadmission Testing and Teaching Phone Interview
Please have the following information readily available:
- All medications that you are taking and the containers in which the pharmacy gave them to you.
- A list of any allergies to medications, food, soaps, dyes, tape, and latex.
- Recent health problems (cold, flu, etc.).
- Chronic medical conditions (heart disease, diabetes, emphysema, etc.) and specialist name.
- Use of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
- Prior surgical procedures and anesthesia experiences.
- You can help by letting us know if you have any special religious, cultural, or personal needs or any visual, hearing, ambulatory concerns or reading problems.
- A translator, if you do not speak English.
- Your plan of discharge from the hospital including arrangements with a responsible adult to drive you home after your surgical procedure.
If Preadmission diagnostic testing is required:
The Preadmission Center is located on the first floor of Abington Memorial Hospital’s Lenfest Pavilion. Please park in the Zipley Garage. Valet parking is available at the Lenfest Entrance beginning at 7:30 a.m.
How to contact us? What happens if you cannot attend your appointment?
If you need to contact us prior to testing and/or your admission or if your appointment or admission needs to be canceled, please contact us using any of the contact information listed below.
Hours: 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.