Cold Curried Pea Soup
10 3/4 oz fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
10 oz frozen peas
1 tablespoon chives or scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
1 medium tomato, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 cup buttermilk
- In a small saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add peas, bring to a boil again.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chives, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper. Puree in food processor or blender.
- Chill for four to six hours or overnight.
- Add buttermilk, adjust seasoning and serve in chilled soup bowls garnished with chopped chives or scallions.
- Option: fresh or frozen broccoli can be substituted for the peas.
- Option: this soup can also be served hot.
Total calories 93
Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Protein 7 g (29%)
Carbohydrates 14 g (58%)
Sodium 424 mg
Fiber 4 g
Calcium 61 mg