Lemon Macaroon Tarts
Ingredients for Shells
2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 egg whites
Ingredients for Icing
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 lemon rind, grated
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
Frozen reduced calorie whipped topping, thawed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°. To make macaroon tart shells: Combine coconut, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg whites in a bowl and stir well. Spoon 1 rounded tablespoon of mixture evenly into muffin cups, pressing mixture into bottom and up the sides. Spread mixture thinly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are browned. Do not over-bake. Cool 2 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Baked shells may be frozen for later use.
- To make filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch and lemon rind in a small saucepan and stir well. Gradually add water and lemon juice. Stir with a wire whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually stir 1/4 of hot lemon mixture into egg; stirring constantly. Add egg mixture to remaining lemon mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Pour mixture into a bowl. Place plastic wrap on surface, and chill.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of lemon mixture into each cooled prepared shell. Top with whipped topping and toasted coconut.
Per serving (1 tart with icing)
Total calories 174
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 15.5 mg
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrate 33 g
Sugar 26.5 g
Sodium 56.5 mg
Calcium 6 mg
Fiber 1.5 mg