Chocolate Pistachio Cranberry Biscotti
1/3 cup (1 oz) shelled, unsalted pistachios
2 large eggs
1 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup firmly packed dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
vegetable cooking spray
- Toast the nuts in a single layer for about 5 minutes, until lightly toasted, fragrant and dry. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove orange zest, being careful not to remove the bitter white pith with it. Dice finely by hand or in a mini-food processor bowl with some of the sugar from the recipe. Squeeze juice from the orange into a bowl with the zest and then add eggs, cranberries, oil, vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix well.
- In another large bowl, sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour egg mixture into it. Stir with a spoon until completely combined. Gently knead in pistachios. The dough will be firm but a little sticky. Put the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet lightly with cooking spray. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured work surface, use palms of your hands to roll each section into a 9" or 10" log. Place each log at least 3" apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in oven until logs crack slightly down the center and are firm enough to slice but not hard, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat and reduce oven temperature to 250°. Remove logs from baking sheet to a cutting board. Using a sharp, serrated bread knife, slice each log on diagonal into eighteen 1/2"-thick slices. Place slices, cut side down, on baking sheet and return to oven. Bake until the slices are crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
Per serving (1 biscotti)
Total calories 65
Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrate 12 g
Fiber 1 g
Sodium 27 mg