Chocolate Orange Cheesecake
2/3 cup (about 3 oz) reduced-fat chocolate wafer cookie crumbs or chocolate graham crackers
1 1/2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 lb small curd low-fat cottage cheese
1 (8 oz) package nonfat cream cheese
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup alkaline-treated cocoa
1/4 cup orange-flavor liqueur or orange juice
1 tablespoon grated fresh orange peel
2 oz chopped semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9" springform pan with parchment paper. Combine crumbs and melted butter. Pat evenly over bottom and about 1/2" up the sides of the pan. Bake until crust is slightly toasted, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to cool and leave oven on.
- In a blender or food processor, whirl cottage cheese, cream cheese, eggs and egg whites until very smooth. Mix sugar and cocoa in a large bowl. Add cheese mixture, orange juice or liqueur and orange peel to the sugar and cocoa mixture.
- Melt chocolate in microwave until soft. Stir until smooth, then scrape into cheese mixture. Beat with mixer or pulse in food processor until smoothly blended. Pour into crust.
- Bake in oven until center barely jiggles when cake is gently shaken, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and run a thin knife between cake and pan rim. Refrigerate cake uncovered, until cool, at least 2 and 1/2 hours.
- To serve, remove pan rim and cut cake into wedges. Or, when completely cooled, wrap airtight and refrigerate for up to 2 days. This can also be frozen.
Total calories 190
Fat 6 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Cholesterol 39 mg
Protein 8 g
Fiber 2 g
Note: In comparison, the Cheesecake Factory Original Cheesecake® has 49 g of fat and 215 mg of cholesterol and the Cheesecake Factory lite version has 29 g of fat and 190 mg of cholesterol