Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese Strudel
4 strudels/60 slices
8 oz nonfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes
5 oz soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet®), at room temperature
5 oz nonfat cream cheese, room temperature
1 large egg
2 tablespoons minced fresh italian parsley
2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (1 1/2 tsp dried, crumbled)
12 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
Olive oil spray
1 large plum tomato, seeded, diced
Fresh oregano sprigs
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a strainer lined with cheesecloth, strain cottage cheese for 2 to 4 hours in the refrigerator. Rehydrate sun-dried tomatoes in 1/2 cup boiling water and let soften for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, process cottage cheese, goat cheese, cream cheese and egg until smooth. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, parsley and oregano until smooth. Season filling with pepper.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface (keep remainder covered). Lightly coat with olive oil spray, season lightly with pepper. Top with 1 more phyllo sheet; spray again. Lightly season again with pepper. Repeat with 1 more sheet. Fold stacked phyllo in half lengthwise and spray.
- Spoon 1/4 of filling in 1" wide log down the long side of sheet, leaving 1" borders. Fold short ends over filling, and spray edges. Roll up into log starting at long side. Lightly spray entire strudel. Press seam to seal, and wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate seam-side down. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling, forming 4 strudels. Can be prepared 2 days ahead.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly coat with oil spray. Place strudels on prepared sheets, seam-side down. Using serrated knife, score each strudel (cutting through phyllo only) making 12 diagonal cuts in each. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
- Cut through score lines, forming slices. Arrange cut side up on platter. Garnish with diced tomato and oregano sprigs.
Total calories 25
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrate 3 g
Sodium 59 mg