In Caring for Baby, a Registered Nurse will guide expectant parents in basic newborn care. All couples will receive a beautiful 104-page book that includes information on safety, becoming new parents, developmental milestones for the first 3 months and more. The color photographs in the book coordinate with the Power Point presentation in the class.
Feedback from recent classes includes:
- "I learned so much- and the book is perfect for new parents to refer to after baby is born"
- "My instructor was someone with personal and professional experience- I liked that."
- "We decided last minute to fit this one in and we are so glad we did! We felt so much more comfortable about the arrival of our baby."
- "I would not hesitate to recommend this class to everyone. There was so much great information covered. The hands on diapering demo, bathing tips and how to care for a newborn has made me feel more confident about becoming a new mom. Thank you for an excellent class!"
Each couple will have a newborn sized doll to learn:
- How to sponge bathe and care for the delicate skin of a newborn
- Swaddling technique
- Umbilical Cord Care
- How to use a nasal bulb syringe
- How to pick up, hold and burp a newborn
The class will cover the following information:
- Normal newborn appearance, reflexes and senses
- When it is appropriate to call your babies healthcare team for concerns such as illness and fever
- Sleep Patterns of a newborn
- Safe Sleep
- Is my newborn getting enough to eat?
- A video that demonstrates newborn care
- And so much more
Knowing what to expect and how to care for your newborn can help ease the anxiety that every new parent feels. This class assists expectant parents with the confidence you need to care for and bond with your new baby.
Our class fees are based on one book/set of handouts per registration. Every registration includes an expectant mom to bring one support person to class.
Every expectant mother should register separately.
If you have any questions about any of our classes or groups, please e-mail our Lead Childbirth Educator, Amy, at Amy.Goldberg@Jefferson.edu
FOR CLASS CANCELLATIONS DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER, PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR E-MAIL AND PHONE NUMBER WHERE WE MAY BEST REACH YOU WHEN YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR CLASSES ONLINE. CLASS CANCELLATION INFORMATION WILL ALSO BE POSTED ON OUR WEB SITE OR YOU MAY CALL 215-481-6800 BEFORE 4 PM OR CALL 215-481-2000 AFTER 5 PM.
In this one session class, expectant parents receive practical information on caring for their newborn, including hospital procedures, newborn appearances and basic care. For more information and to register, please visit our website @ www.amh.org under Classes & Events or contact the Childbirth Education department @ 215-481-6800. FOR CLASS CANCELLATIONS DUE TO WEATHER, PLEASE VISIT THE CLASS DATE YOU REGISTERED FOR UNDER THE WEB SITE OR CALL 215-481-2000 AFTER 5 PM.