Infant Massage offers benefits for both the baby and parents.
Many babies experience a longer, deeper sleep following a massage. Parents will be instructed in a techniques including:
- Massaging their babies abdomen to assist in digestion, helping your baby to pass gas more easily and decrease colic symptoms.
- Massage that promotes air movement in the lungs and can aid in decreasing sinus and chest congestion.
- Stretching techniques
- Reflexology points
- A back massage can be offered during tummy time while building muscles needed to reach developmental milestones.
- Tactile stimuli is shown to increase production of white blood cells that help fight infection.
- Massage stimulates the nervous and endocrine systems while providing time for bonding and attachment for parents and their child.
- Parents, did you know that massage has been shown to increase the milk making hormone in breastfeeding moms? It is also known to reduce blood pressure and promote a general sense of well being.
During this class parents will view an instructional video, review of techniques with hands on practice and receive a book for to take home.
You can attend the class before the baby is delivered- we will provide a doll for the hands on practice. A sample of a commonly used massage oil is provided to use in class.
Please bring several baby blankets and a crescent shaped nursing pillow to support the baby during the massage. Taught by an RN certified in Infant Massage, we are pleased to present this class for you and your baby.
Please note- when registering for this class, the fee is per couple. You need only register the expectant mothers name. When you register a support person, our system counts it as 2 couples. There is no need to register an additional name with moms when you register. Thank you.
Our class fees are based on one book/set of handouts per registration. Every registration includes one parent to bring one support person to class.
If you have any questions about any of our classes or groups, please e-mail our Lead Childbirth Educator, Amy, at Amy.Goldberg@Jefferson.edu
PLEASE NOTE: FOR CLASS CANCELLATION DUE TO WEATHER PLEASE VISIT THE CLASS YOU REGISTERED FOR ON THE WEB OR CALL 215-481-2000 AFTER 7 AM.