Our Breastfeeding 1 class is highly recommended by the hospital Board Certified Lactation Consultants for all moms before they deliver.
Breastfeeding 1 is taught by an RN, IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) It is important for new parents to learn about breastfeeding for the first 2 to 4 weeks after the baby is born as this is a very important time to build moms milk supply.
You will receive a beautiful breastfeeding book with color photos that is a wonderful reference for new breastfeeding moms and their support persons.
We combine a Power Point guided discussion in class that uses the book and a video to help you understand the process of breastfeeding to assist you in getting a positive, confident start to your breastfeeding journey.
Topics covered include-
- Importance of a proper latch to prevent sore nipples and stimulate the milk supply
- How often should a newborn nurse
- Benefits for mom and baby
- Information about how your milk supply is made
- Lactation support in the hospital
- Best practice to prevent sore nipples
- What are the signs and symptoms of mastitis and other concerns you should be aware
- An opportunity to ask your questions
- Our class will help build your awareness of what to expect as a mom of a nursing newborn
- Being prepared for what to expect from a nursing newborn can increase your confidence about breastfeeding your baby
- New parents have many questions such as:
- How can I determine if things are going well?
- What does "Supply and Demand" mean when we talk about breastfeeding?
- what is BFHI?
- does Abington Jefferson Health promote skin to skin?
- Where to get breastfeeding help after we are home with our newborn?
- Your questions are always welcome in this class
Support persons are very important to a breastfeeding mother and should attend this class with mom.
Moms are asked to bring a doll or teddy bear for the hands on part of the class discussing tips on how to hold your newborn while nursing.
The focus of this class is mainly on breastfeeding for the first 6 weeks after the birth of your baby- the time when many new moms have questions and need assistance with breastfeeding. Breastfeeding 2 is another class we proudly offer to discuss breast pumping topics including choosing a breast pump and storing your milk.
Please note- when registering for this prenatal class, the fee is per couple. You need only register the expectant mothers name. When you register a support person, our system counts it as 2 couples. There is no need to register an additional name with moms when you register. Thank you.
Our class fees are based on one book/set of handouts per registration. Every registration includes an expectant mom to bring one support person to class.
Every expectant mother should register separately.
If you have any questions about any of our classes or groups, please e-mail our Lead Childbirth Educator, Amy, at Amy.Goldberg@Jefferson.edu
FOR CLASS CANCELLATIONS DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER, PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR E-MAIL AND PHONE NUMBER WHERE WE MAY BEST REACH YOU WHEN YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR CLASSES ONLINE. CLASS CANCELLATION INFORMATION WILL ALSO BE POSTED ON OUR WEB SITE OR YOU MAY CALL 215-481-6800 BEFORE 4 PM OR CALL 215-481-2000 AFTER 5 PM.
For more information and to register please visit the website @ www.amh.org under Classes & Events or call the Childbirth Education Department @ 215-481-6800. PLEASE NOTE YOU WILL NEED A DOLL/TEDDY BEAR TO PARTICIPATE IN THE LECTURE PERTAINING TO HOW TO HOLD YOUR BABY WHILE BREASTFEEDING. NO DOLL IS NEEDED FOR THE BEYOND THE BASICS CLASS. FOR CLASS CANCELLATIONS DUE TO WEATHER, PLEASE VISIT THE CLASS DATE YOU REGISTERED FOR UNDER THE WEB SITE OR CALL 215-481-2000 AFTER 5 PM.