Geriatrics: Core Curriculum
The specific knowledge that will be covered in the 1 block rotation in geriatrics for the senior residents will include:
- Aspects of preventive medicine including nutrition, exercise, screening and immunization for disease.
- Geriatric assessment including cognitive and functional assessment; use of screening tools for mental function; depression, ADL’s (activities of daily living) and IADL’s (instrumental activities of daily living).
- Cognitive impairment, including dementia and delirium.
- Urinary incontinence – types, w/u, treatment.
- Osteoporosis – prevention and treatment.
- Falls – epidemiology.
- Depression – diagnosis; treatment.
- Pharmacology and aging – altered pharmacokinetics, adverse drug reactions.
- Ethical issues, advance directives, living will, power of attorney and durable power of attorney.
- Rehabilitation – assistive devices.
- Pre-operative and perio-operative assessment of the elderly patient.
- Caregivers; community resources.
- Hypertension in the elderly.
- Physiologic changes with aging.
- Medicare, health care reimbursement.
- Independent care visits.
Individual medical topics and their relation to aging will be discussed during rounds.