Free Continuing Medical Education Symposium
Primary Care Update 2013
Friday, June 14, 2013
Hip Fractures: Prevention and Treatment
Matthew Craig, M.D.
- Describe best practices for treatment of hip fractures in the elderly.
- Discuss epidemiology of hip fractures in the U.S.
- Review non-operative options for hip fracture.
- Discuss the risk of femoral fractures associated with long term bisphosphonate use.
Laurel Schwartz, M.D.
- Review changes in skin that occurs naturally with aging.
- Identify common benign skin lesions that are found more commonly in older people.
- Describe physical findings of skin lesions that increase suspicion of malignancy.
- Discuss new operative and non-operative approaches to the treatment of basal cell carcinomas, squamous cell carcinomas, and acitnic keratoses.
Dementia: Diagnosis and Management
Mary Hoffman, M.D.
- Describe office based tools to help identify those with cognitive decline.
- Discuss the various causes of dementia.
- Review the efficiency of available medications for dementia.
- Discuss caregiver support issues surrounding care of patients with dementia.
Blood Disorders in the Elderly
Feliz LePar, M.D., M.P.H.
- Compare and contrast causes of anemia in the elderly.
- Describe the work up of anemia in the elderly.
- Review the presentation and treatment approach to chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Discuss the evaluation of myelodysplastic syndromes.
Sex, Driving and Substance Abuse - Not Just for Teens
Gerald Hansen III, M.D.
- Discuss the role of sexuality in the lives of geriatric patients
- List the options for treatment of sexual dysfunction in geriatric patients
- Discuss the approach to identifying & treating substance abuse in geriatric patients
- Describe how to assess the driving abilities and apply appropriate safety interventions for our geriatric patients
James Cook, M.D.
- Review the epidemiology of Parkinson’s disease in the U.S.
- Describe physical exam findings in patients with Parkinson disease.
- Differentiate Parkinsonian tremor from other movement disorders.
- Discuss the role of medications and surgical interventions for Parkinson’s.
The Aging Eye
Eric George, M.D.
- Review physical findings of eye disorders including ectropion and ptosis.
- Describe the presentation of macular degeneration and treatments that may be available.
- Discuss best practices for pre-operative evaluation of cataract patients.
- Discuss the safety of medications in patients with macular degeneration.
Cancer Screening in the Elderly
Meera Shah, D.O.
- Review the guidelines for screening for concerns of colon, breast and prostate cancer in the elderly
- Relate the ideas of prognosis and life expectancy to screening recommendations
- Discuss how patient preferences affect screening decisions
Top Articles in Geriatrics
John Russell, M.D. and Neil Skolnik, M.D.
- Discuss trial comparing hydrochlorothiazide to chlorthalidone for hypertension in the elderly.
- Describe mortality from cardiac arrest in geriatrics.
- Review new articles on cardiovascular disease in geriatrics