Student Programs at Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health
In the business of teaching since opening its doors in 1914, Abington Hospital – Jefferson Health has established a reputation as a major teaching hospital in the Philadelphia area – a unique combination of an academic medical center in a community hospital setting. With its close proximity to Philadelphia, Abington is uniquely positioned to offer students a complimentary clinical experience to that of their training in any one of the downtown university programs. Formal student teaching affiliations exist with Temple University School of Medicine, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Arcadia University and Philadelphia University. Although students have less clinical experience, their voice in managing and caring for patients is no less valuable than any other member of the medical team that cares for patients at Abington.
Did you know that…?
- AH is a regional referral center and teaching hospital. We see lots of common problems yet also act as a tertiary referral center in the areas of stroke treatment, invasive acute cardiac procedures and valve surgery, bariatric surgery, and rare and complex cancer care, to name a few.
- Approximately 5,000 babies are born at AH annually, making us one of the busiest centers for maternity care in the State of Pennsylvania.
- As a level-2 trauma center, 24-hour neurosurgical and orthopaedic support is available for patients arriving by helicopter or ambulance.
- Each year, more than 110 residents are trained at AH in independent ACGME accredited programs of family medicine, internal medicine, obstetrics & gynecology, surgery, and dentistry. Residents from Temple and Drexel rotate at Abington in internal medicine, orthopaedic surgery, plastic surgery, otolaryngology, urology, neurosurgery and emergency medicine. An independent Geriatric fellowship trains two fellows a year while fellows from Drexel University receive clinical training at AH in gastroenterology, rheumatology, infectious disease, and cardiology.
- Many of the attending staff claim one of the local institutions as their alma mater, fostering a strong commitment to ‘give back’ in the form of mentoring and teaching students. An attending physician at Abington has been the recipient of ‘best affiliate teaching doctor’ voted on by Temple or Drexel students for each of the last four years.
For an overview of student rotations available at AH please click the listed department:
Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Surgery, Pediatrics, or Psychiatry.
Please consult your school course guide for a more complete listings and description.