PLEASE NOTE: Applications will be accepted September 1, 2014 to December 15, 2014 for Pre-Med Volunteers. All references must be received no later than January 5, 2015.
Our Pre-Med Program allows students considering a career in medicine to gain first-hand experience in the healthcare field. In order to gain an understanding of the work and responsibilities of a healthcare provider in a modern hospital complex, volunteers are required to work a minimum of four hours a week, including at least one weekend during the summer, in the Emergency Trauma Center or Hospital Elder Life Program. Since most program participants have full-time jobs, hours may be scheduled for evenings and weekends. They also attend a weekly seminar with hospital staff members to become familiar with subjects relating to medical careers. Topics include basic and specialty areas of practice, medical school admission, medical ethics and others.
Additional opportunities such as observing in surgery, making rounds with members of the house staff and observing in other hospital departments may be arranged.
- Applicants must have completed the sophomore year in college.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a course of study related to health care and achieve adequate grades in these subjects.
- Applicants must spend at least six hours a week in the program during the summer (including seminars and volunteer work); including 2+ hours in the evenings for lecture.
- Applicants must exhibit a mature attitude toward the responsibilities and privileges of the Pre-Med volunteer program.
- Applicants must complete the Pre-Med program application as well as provide three (3) reference letters.
- Applicants must be cleared by EHS in May.
- Applicants must provide updated Child Abuse Clearance Certificate in May.
- Preference will be given to students living in the immediate hospital area
Deadline for applications is December 15, 2014.